Here is a comprehensive moving checklist to help ensure your stress-free move. We all know that moving can be stressful, especially when it means moving to a new home or office. We want to help you prepare so that your experience is a safe, successful move – especially with professional movers.
4-8 weeks before you move
- Keep It Moving Logistics is the best company to help you in your moving process, whether you just need a hand packing and unpacking or if you want us to do it all for you.
- Begin by cleaning out your closets, garage, and attic. Organize a garage sale or give your unwanted items to charity if you don’t have room in your home.
- You can either change your address online or get a physical change of address card from your local post office.
- To change your address with different organizations, first make a list that includes magazines, charge accounts, insurance companies, clubs, friends, and family.
- Arrange to have your children’s school records moved if you have them.
3 weeks before you move
- Before your move, you’ll want to decide whether you would like professional packing assistance from a company such as Keep It Moving Logistics, or if you will pack everything yourself.
- If you’ve decided to carry your own belongings, get them ready and labeled.
- Make a survival closet of the things you’ll need to last throughout your move and first into your new house. Collect all personal documents.
- After your move-out day, you should schedule to turn off your utilities such as gas, electricity, water, cable, and the internet.
- The day before your scheduled move-in date, prepare to connect all of your utilities.
2 weeks before you move
- Before your next grocery trip, use up all the food in your fridge and freezer.
- Thoroughly clean out your basement and attic, then decide what items you want to keep.
- Cancel daily delivery services, such as newspapers.
- Be sure to get rid of anything that could potentially catch on fire, such as lighters, cleaners, paint thinners, etc.
- Always remember to drain the oil and gasoline from your lawn mower, as well as any other power tools, before moving them.
- Make sure you’ve packed everything ahead of time.
1 week before your move
- Check to see whether Keep It Moving Logistics has your contact phone numbers for the day of the move.
- Empty and clean your refrigerator and freezer, clean your stovetop, and so on.
- On moving day, only use the household items that you’ll need, such as sheets, towels, and a few pans. Dishes can wait until later. Everything else should be ready to go.
- On moving day, make sure to pack a suitcase with everything you’ll need for the next few days, just in case you’re unable to unpack right away.
- Do a final check of all the rooms to make sure you haven’t left anything behind before getting in the car.
- After your relocation team arrives at your new home, review the move with them and make sure that everything is in order.
- As your items are unloaded, check for signs of damage and make a note of any damaged items.
After you arrive at your destination, take everything out of the boxes and make yourself feel at home.